Note from Frances:
When I told people I’m going to be away for three months (or more) it really didn’t sink in that I’ll be away from all of the conveniences and the people I was used to. I’ve been to lots of different cities but this is definitely different from my past travels.
Less than 24 hours in a new place, I need to start calling home, I am already missing everything.
Context: Eah and I are perennial weekend buddies. Aside from our regular meetings about our passion project, Pinoy Catalyst, weekends serve as catch-ups. And it just feels weird not having that anymore.
The worrier that I am, Eah decided to give me a list of things I should do and not worry about.
I know it’s quite challenging to be in a different environment, far from your family and friends so let me give you these reminders on making the most of this adventure.
1. Keep your eyes open. There are a lot of great possibilities that can be life changing. Being with different people, different culture, and a different environment can give you a lot of new experiences that have a potential on having a significant impact in your life. Look around.
2. Be present. Be where you are and be in the moment. Live your life Ces. Experience every second. I hope you do not spend so much time reminiscing, looking back at the what-could-have-been’s and problematizing what’s gonna happen after three months. Don’t waste time, chances, and energy. Focus on your Here and Now.
3. Learn every step of the way. You know that this trip is a chance for you to focus on yourself while also giving a part of yourself to the country. Whether it’s a bump in the road or some smooth glide, look closely. There’s something for you in there. Cherish every bruise and scratch. It’s teaching you something.
4. Keep the passion burning. Sure it’s easier said than done especially when you’re tired and frustrated. I hope you always remember why you chose this path and why you went on that journey.
5. Make the most of your weekends or day-off. Everyone needs to take a step back, relax and recharge.
6. Take care of your body and health. Do yoga. Go for a run. Eat clean and healthy. Learn how to prepare a healthy food you can enjoy. You need an able body to serve our countrymen as best as you can. Besides, you’ve always wanted to be fit and healthy. Why not do it? Let’s do it. Let’s motivate each other from afar. I’m with you. *wink*
7. Get enough sleep. Well, you need it.
8. While we won’t be meeting every weekend like we used to, I hope you can spend your extra time working on the things that really matter to you.
9. Celebrate your birthday with vigor and enthusiasm. We’re sorry we can’t spend it with you but rest assured we’re gonna send you some love. You are precious Ces. You are loved. And a lot of people are happy to see you greeting another year.
10. This is your time Ces.
11. The best way to get over someone, is to focus on self-growth and passion projects. Study. Read. Pamper yourself. Introspect. Write. Do whatever you have to do to be happy, and to be the person you’ve always wanted to be. That alone should give you enough distraction to keep your mind away from people and situations that now belong in the past.
12. Turn the page on to the next. Do not get stuck on things you have no control over. Deal with it and move on. There’s always something next. Be excited about it.
13. Meet new people. Build new relationships. I think it’s one of the best things about travelling. You get to be exposed to a new culture, new set of people, new environment. Experience it Ces. Allow new people to touch your life. There are a lot of interesting people out there. They might need you as much as you need them. Grace them with your smile.
14. Document your journey. I know you’d want to look back at it someday and hopefully with a smile on your face. Take note of the lessons Ces. The universe is doing something to surprise you. There’s a reason why you are where you are. Maybe someday, when you look at the photos and the notes, it would all make sense.
15. Keep in touch and just pretend we’re just on the next block! We will miss you. Heck, I already do. So keep those SMS and online messages coming. We love to hear from you.
These are just some reminders Ces. I know you already know these. I only pray that you’ll be able to maximize this experience. You’re on your way to healing. You’re on your way to growth. To greatness. To being the person you want to be. Do that. Choose to be happy everyday. There are a lot to be thankful for. Just remember that whenever you get lonely or sad, you have your friends here, just a phone call away.
P.S. Please keep your phone battery charged. We might panic if we didn’t hear from you for days.